Saturday, April 14, 2012

Ah the Questions we CAN answer

I thought I was gonna lose my mind last week. But thankfully, things worked out quite well.

Some nights ago, while I was brushing lig gurl's hair before bedtime, she told me:

"Ma, I have a bad Daddy."

And I asked her, "Who told you that?"

"Just in my mind," She said and further explained "Because he doesn't take care of us."

How does she manage to chain these kind of thoughts together? And how do you refute something that is the just the Truth? How do you change the way she thinks or feels about her non-existent father, when you can't teach her or give her things that are not there in the first place?

When lil gurl was born, I told myself I will raise her alone, in the best possible way I know how.
And I will not let her grow up feeling lacking, just because her biological father is quite - well, something not great. And I will make sure she won't hear a single bad thing about him - so I decided to keep my otherwise unpalatable opinion of him to myself.

Afterall, no matter how many times he will deny my daughter's existence, the fact will remain that she is his offspring. The Daughter he did not deserve and will, ironically, never be his.

As much as I'd like to tell her there is NO Daddy in the picture, I opted to say the right thing:

So I told Lil Gurl: "Your Daddy is not bad. He just made choices in his life that me or you are not part of. And that does not make him bad, it's just how we go about life."

I'm not sure it was enough of an explanation but lil gurl said: "It's okay that he did not include me or you, or us. You take care of me. I have the best mommy in the whole world!"

And she said this with a hug for me that you can't even begin to imagine!

So, if you were in my place, how do you keep the damn tears from falling? Most difficult, i tell you. But you know, when you see this little kid trying to figure out things that most kids don't even think about at her age, you just can't cry and break down.

You just have to put on your strong face and tell her things are just Normal. perfect, even.

All things dissected and discussed, I told myself that whatever we think about so often, and whatever we say, usually happens and usually comes back to us.

And whatever we sow today, we will surely reap tomorrow.

So I constantly reminded myself the whole of last week of the Law of Attraction.

And it is still right that I keep my mouth shut. At the end of the day, I didn't tell my little girl bad things about him. The fact is we don't talk about him at all - except in some moments as these, and always in general perspective.

Today, I woke up with all things in perspective.

What's wrong if it's just me and her?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me your thoughts!