Saturday, December 15, 2012

Aging

5 sure signs of aging:

1. Craving turon, bibingka or halo-halo for merienda. I used to look for sweets or junk food during coffee breaks, but lately the taste has evolved into something closer to my age bracket. It makes me feel that I have aged, because these choices seem to coincide with my mom's. And she admits to being old.

2. Enjoying household chores. Did I really hate it, hate it with a passion? Sure, I can arrange stuff, fix the bed, and the usual but I would have always preferred reading a book or going out with lil gurl than doing the cooking or the dishes. But lately, since I lost the nanny to some flimsy excuse, I realized I can actually break a back working chores. And surprise, surprise, I find that it isn't so bad. I now find myself cooking real breakfast, washing the dishes, mopping the floor, etc. etc.. And lil gurl exclaims "Mama na gyud ka, Ma." LOL (fake pala ako dati?!)

3. Hoarding plastic bags and plastic containers. LOL We used to joke about my grandma keeping a whole drawer of plastic bags and plastic containers, saying she's keeping junk in her closet. But now that I have reached a certain age, I find that I do the same- and keep one in my tote too (OMG) ! Why? Because you'll never know when you're going to need a good plastic bag for random moments (for puking, for extra goods that won't fit your market basket, for soiled slippers, for wet clothes, etc).

4. Your Christmas Wishlist looks like everything can be bought from Handyman or Our Home. I started drawing my wishlist two months ago and in lieu of the perfume and new dresses, the first things that came into my mind were a new fridge, new sheets, sweets tray, new set of beautiful dishes, a tool kit, new bathroom rack, and OMG, a new griller.

5. You'd rather celebrate beautiful moments with a few good friends and loved ones than being in a crowd. Maybe it's just me, but I find that conversations are far better when shared by a couple of time-tested friendship and relationships over a quiet cup of coffee. Wow, i've let go of my hed khandi days like it was just yesterday. lolz

**

My friend K tells me that we aren't so old, and in fact, she's not giving up her youth that easily.
So, by being the way that I am now and having new choices, am I giving up my youth already?
Sounds a bit scary, the way I see it.

But you know, I have always felt like an old soul anyway so I have no problem embracing the "oldness" that I feel. Because recently, this new kind of "aged" feeling makes me feel more at ease with myself - at peace with my decisions, enjoying the pace of my life and looking forward to a number of laid-back adventures with the little girl and closest friends.

I tell K that she's my dose of youth, so when we are together, despite the "oldness" that I feel, I will be reminded how young we truly are. :)

And Of course, lil girl will always remind me that I am not so much older than she actually really is.
Even though she's also this old soul trapped in a five-year old kid's body.

Do you feel this kind of old too?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me your thoughts!