Monday, January 7, 2013

Of Chaos and Simplicity

Over a slice of cold pie and a freshly brewed coffee, I listened to my best friend lament about her "past quarter life crisis".

She has these all sorts of fears dangling from every corner of her world and she has enumerated ten thousand different things, and I heard only a few dressed in my own opinion:

Afraid to stop;
Afraid to be normal and boring;
Afraid to be make mistakes and not be able to UNDO things;
Afraid to stay at one place;
Afraid to like the stuff that I do (the normal and the boring);
Afraid to have so many things the world is offering;

Which can be translated into and deduced into the following:
A. Afraid to understand that she deserves all these great shit that go into the package of entering the third decade.
B. Normal, Boring and Monotonous are the evil synonyms of simplicity, purity, and tranquility.
C. When all the noise has died down, the greatest argument that we need to settle score with is the silence of our hearts and the silence of our dreams.

I can't help but smile as I listen to her. Yes, her fears are real. They shake her to the core too. But I feel that whatever fears that have her chained into this 29th year and 11th hour of her crossroads, she has already managed to chain, spar with and won over.

She knows, deep in her heart, that despite the conventional set-up of things, hers would always have a mark of the free-spirited, the passionate and the insight of the learned. And that (surprise, surprise!!) it is possible to merge the kind of world that I see with the kind of world that she envisions.

Sometimes, it's not really about choosing one from the other; or choosing to be bound or to be free. Because, as I have learned from my endless search for things beyond what IS, things can live in harmony despite the polarity of points.

And things have their way of finding their equilibrium in spite of the chaos of all that there is.

I never really put a lot of thought into this year when we turn into 30th avenue of existence. Although, I admit that I also kinda felt the pressure there.

But contrary to all the plans and the kind of life she pictured, I figured, I still want mine to be boring, monotonous and normal. (Really!)

Seriously.

I feel that I have had so much drama during the first quarter of my life. I think a little boredom (no, a little more of the boredom that I have now) will tame the wild wind and the endless noise in me. And I also feel that with the kind of predictability, I am saving myself from a number pains, tears and a whole crap-load of drama.

So I told her that the next 30 years of my existence will be built around a few tenets in life. And to start it off, this year has claimed one power word:

Simplicity.

In everything that I would do, I would plan and strive for, I will only reap the simplicity of everything. I will take all the add-ons and exchange them for the purity of the days, the ideas, the emotions.

For the past five years, my daily mantra is Let Go.

Let go of all the fears.
let go of all the pain.
the doubts.
the plans.
the worries.

And instead, let things flow. (And Let God.)

And so after my Let Go for the number of X years, this year will start off with Simplicity.

As such, I have redefined most of my aspirations to be as above.

Simple, without all the complications my mind and my heart would always come up with.

What's your year's power word?



KEEP CALM AND MEDITATE- Coco Style :) .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me your thoughts!