Sunday, October 21, 2012

In the more important things in life

Being stuck in bed for days is not helping.

I get to think of ten thousand things I need to change my life of and I feel like there is no end to this "misery".
Sick and feeling ugly, I tell myself that when I am better, things will look up.

I always get this when I'm as sick as sick can be.
This is the first time I've gotten sick in an interval of weeks. And it's actually scaring me.

I drove myself to the ER yesterday, with little gurl and nanny in tow.
Maybe because I think I was gonna spend the night there and I needed the nanny to do errands.

But really, honestly, I needed little girl for courage.

Selfish. (I Know)

So I went to have my BP checked, did my blood work up, had my urinalysis and chest X-ray.
And after an hour or two, I was sent home because:

My lungs are clear.
There is no wheezing.
The fever has subsided.
My platelets are normal.

But I have an infection that is something other than in my lungs. (hmm?!)

I went home with a new set of medicines, an advice to rest (seriously rest) and a longer list of things and food to avoid.

When you tick-mark the list, I can find that I've already done most of the part there.

* I've already given up smoking.
* Reduced drinking liquor to a minimum.
* I've cut down on sugar and artificial sweets and junk food.
* Did my cardio for at least fifteen minutes every day.
* Taken my maintenance religiously
* Avoided peanuts, yellow food, crustaceans

I need to vacuum the car more.
Clean out the bedroom every other day
Ditch the Lysol air sprays

and reduce stress to the minimum.

But, How do I cross out the last one?

And ahh, there lies the rub. Either way I take, I end up taking in stress.

The self-help blogs that I subscribe to tells me that stress is the result of an incorrect state of mind. (not crazy incorrect state of mind, I hope) But it's from one's perspective in the state of things.

And so I asked myself to re-align my priorities, re-arrange the important things and segregate those that I can let go.

I listed all the things that worry me, above my health and the welfare of this little girl, and I ended up with a list that's short to nothing. Amazing how we can actually cross out the Not So Important's and The So-so Important's when we just take the time. (and maybe stop pretending to be super busy)

I also realized that I have sadly pulled away from my religious devotions and I have constantly "forgotten" to say the rosary or hear mass on Wednesdays for the devotion to the Mother of Perpetual Help.

And inasmuch as I want to deny it, the state of my physical health is equivocally on the same plane as my spiritual well-being.

The fifteen minute morning meditations that I used to have was replaced by late wake-up calls and senseless banter with the relatives. Sometimes, I forget the Me Time.

Sometimes, I forget that along with the physical well-being, I also need to look after what's inside.

So today, I tell myself that I am no Super Woman. I am entitled to sick days off and just driving myself crazy lying in bed. And tonight, I lit candles to pray and make time for more important things in life.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me your thoughts!