Tuesday, February 23, 2010

We reap what we sow.

It was the first day of this year's sweet corn harvest. And despite the gloomy climate forecast for the year, the yield is double the expected. Need not saying that God must have heard our plea for a better harvest this time, I felt that my stars have aligned. And when Coco goes with my deliveries, I usually sell everything at a very good price. Everything sold out too. Indeed, she has always been my lucky charm.

As I count my sales for the day and the little coins that will go back to the working capital, I finally heave a sigh of relief that this year is going to be better. I really hope it's gonna be a better year for all of us. And as I teach Coco the value of savings, and hard work, I am amazed at how quickly she picks up.

I grew up blessed, with my relatives never failing to give me the right support that I need. But contrary to what most people believe in, I did not grow up being spoon fed, much more with a silver spoon. I work hard for what I think what is duly mine, and I work hard for what I have now. And I really want Coco to grow up this way too.

And I see that in Coco, yes, at an early age of two. My little girl is not greedy. She knows that one is enough, and she understands the value of money. She already knows how to choose between what is necessity and what is luxury. She has had her share of tantrums and 'I want this mom' but she never wants anything more than one. She also understands: We don't have money now, for that Co.

When I got home last night, I saw Coco playing cashier in a grocery store. She exclaims that she's the owner and that everything is for sale at FOUR HUNDRED. She instructs her yaya to push her grocery cart and pay for the cereals. When her yaya tried to haggle for the prices, she haggled back. I couldn't help grinning like crazy, and flashing a thumbs up to my lil one. Haggle back for a really good price. And she smiled and said: the coins will go to her piggy.

And as we close our shop today, she tells me, it was a good day to sell sweet corn. :D

I agree Cocobear. It was a good day. Another one tomorrow! And it's gonna be a great year for us working hard and working more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me your thoughts!