Thursday, July 22, 2010

You and I are just the same.

The most wonderful things with calling in sick come in calling in for mommie duty. The other day when I skipped work, I nursed my sickie tummy for a bit and went back to mommie job asap.

I made breakfast and Me and little one had hot chocolate made from classic tablea ("sikwati") and suman (rice rolls?) for breakfast. We brought out the china for sikwati, and lingered for a bit longer, exchanging stories, taking pictures. I wanted my mornings to be like that... slow. beautiful. simply lovely.






And Christy came on over early and lil one was giddy beyond belief.



I took Coco to school too and had the chance to see her interact with the other kids.




To see her shine.



To see her play.



To take in what a beautiful person my little one is.



I spent a chunk of my time there talking with other guardians and talking with Coco's teacher- which I found out is also a solo parent. And I think, what a beautiful surprise!

When Coco was about to attend school, I had a hard time finding the right one for her. Some schools here are biased against children from broken families, single parents, or unwed mothers. I guess, maybe the closed Catholic culture finds it difficult to broaden the perspective. But I don't take it against them. It's just the way they are.

The process of checking one school after another was a tad difficult and hurting for me. Because primarily, I feel that my child should not be discriminated against just because she carries my last name or has a N/A for a father. It hurt me to know that there are some institutions that still remain ,well, different - for lack of better word.

Then I found this school not far from where we live that embraces a Christian education and has welcomed me and my child because we are the same as any whole family out there.

And Coco's teacher has testified that statistics show a number of students coming from homes run by solo parents. This comforts me because I know teacher I will be careful with her words, be mindful of her lessons and would not look at my child with pity in her eyes-like most narrow-minded people I encounter.

What makes my child different from other "normal" kids is the fact that she is loved truly, hundred percent, without the need to have multiple parent figures. Because my love, and my family's love for her (also my friends) is more than what other people from "whole" families get.

That's a fact of life. :)

And I am happy to see the kids in her school are happy Christians. They do not treat her differently. They do not see her as different. Because precisely, she is not.

And neither am I.

1 comment:

  1. It's good to know you have found the right school for your baby. That teacher looks sweet.

    And my goodness, what an enviable breakfast you have there! While gawking at it, I couldn't help but think, "If there was a slice of mango in this set, it would be heaven." hehehe

    ReplyDelete

Tell me your thoughts!