Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Solo Parents Rights

I've been a solo parent for about 3 years now. And though motherhood is rewarding, everyday has not exactly been a bed of roses.

The first time I came home, with this little baby in my arms, unsure of what the future holds for the both of us, I remember standing in the airport, waiting for a ride home and keeping the dam of tears in.

I held on to that facade until being strong was the only thing I know doing. I juggled jobs, motherhood, and writing in 24 hours. It wasn't easy before. And it isn't easy now. But being strong inside has become a part of my living that being the other way isn't really an option anymore.

The difficult times always come when little one gets sick and either I have just enough to buy medicine or just enough to pay the bills. And there's always the chance the boss won't allow you to take a leave. And of course, coming home to a conservative town doesn't always make it easy for solo parents like me to blend in.

And though I am still in some kind of a limbo, as my civil status has remained stuck somewhere in the grey areas, I am for a fact a solo parent.

The law protects the rights of solo parents and our legislators acknowledge our existence and the rights we have to better future, more opportunities and a loud voice in our society.

RA 8972 or the Solo Parents Act of the Philippines is a comprehensive act that provides benefits and privileges to solo parents and their children. It was signed into law in November 2000 and its implementing rules was approved in April 2002.

As defined by the Act:

A solo parent is any individual...among others, "Any other person who solely provides parental care and support to a child or children"

It provides us with:

* Solo parents can avail of the 7-day parental leave that is mandated by law. It is above the special day and mandatory leaves. Esp when parents need to attend to a child's needs.
* Flexible work schedule

A bill is being passed that enable solo parents to avail of discounts on child's clothing, medicine, milk and diapers. Though it has not been signed and put into effect just yet, this bill would surely help a lot of solo parents when it will be.

Solo parents are encouraged to obtain the Solo Parents ID from DSWD the soonest possible. The requirements would include Barangay Certificate of Residence, supporting documents (like annullment, ITR, etc), and if you are like me who's still in a kinda limbo, we can secure a certificate issued by the Barangay Captain indicating the circumstances of one's being a solo parent.

For more of this you can read on:


Apart from the assurance that the law is not sleeping on us, we know that no matter how minor solo parents can be in a staunchly conservative society, we still have a voice.

Now, don't you think being a chicsinglemommie rocks?! :D

Keep your head up, love. The world hasn't gone too heavy just yet and Atlas still hasn't shrugged!

2 comments:

Tell me your thoughts!