Saturday, March 27, 2010

Realizations from the Oven

Why am I addicted to Baking?

For a series number of days, I have spent most of my free time in the kitchen, scribbling new recipes, trying out old ones, adding twists and reinventing a whole new line of cuppycakes. This summer, I have made it my mission to create a fruity cup line up. It started with strawberries, followed by lemon and oranges. Today, I’ve made mango cake and cups.

Mango is an overrated summer fruit here in our place. LOL. As it has always been equated to summer, spending your days at the beach without the classic mango slush or the to-die-for mango floats are major summer mistakes. Our garage is full of them, it came in boxes, in all shapes and sizes! At our local market, the pretty ones sell at P50 per kilogram.

For whatever reason, I decided to surprise cuzn T tomorrow with a big star-shaped mango cake. Of course, my lil one helped me bake it. (I’ll post piks tom, she might come across the blog and discover the surprise hihi)

Sitting here thinking about today’s slow turn of events, I have discovered that:

• Baking Powder has a one is to one ratio with Cake Flour

• Thinly slicing mango is better than finely dicing them

• Mango puree is a best alternative to the mango flavorings claiming its organic origin

• My lil one couldn’t help getting icing on her face and clothes and she couldn’t resist getting one cup from the cooling rack and I couldn’t help BEAMING.

• I love baking and cooking almost as much as I love writing

• I want a Kitchenaid for my birthday.. 

• I will one day build a house with a kitchen located at the heart.

• Life is similar to unsalted butter. It is best thawed at room temperature where it softens nice and slow, rather by heating it on a pan and turns into a pool of lard.

• My past is like the strawberry cups I made last Thursday- it’s not perfect but it’s still pretty. And my present is like the mango cake I did today, it’s almost perfect but needing more of a bit of sugar. Nonetheless, it’s by far the best I’ve made. AND my future is like the fondant cake I’m dreaming in my sleep. It’s still far way down my calendar, but I will get there. And when I do, I’ll be ready for the big world!

• That I will realize my dream to build a cupcake house. Where I could sell cupcakes with silly names like Jumping Jack, Cosmic Berry, Lemon cake instead of Lemonades, Sugar Shush….

• That I still love… baking more than anything else in this world! Well, next to Coco and next to writing.


Oh Weekends, how quickly you fly by! If I could wish for days to consist of weekends, I would make the world a one huge kitchen. AND I will host a never ending breakfast and tea parties for you my dear friends. Happy happy happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me your thoughts!